bp is a household name, with the familiar helios logo appearing on production platforms, refineries, ships, wind farms, research facilities, service stations and corporate offices. With operations in Europe, North and South America, Australasia, Asia and Africa, we deliver energy solutions, heat, light, and mobility across the world. Our purpose is reimagining energy for people and our planet. We want to help the world reach net zero and improve people's lives.
By 2030, we aim to be a different kind of energy company. We're decarbonizing and diversifying our business.
* Reducing our oil and gas production and lowering emissions, while keeping up cash flow by high-grading our portfolio and growing bioenergy.
* Investing in low carbon energy to rapidly scale up in the solar and offshore wind, and develop new opportunities in carbon capture and hydrogen.
* Switching on 100,000 EV charging points and opening more than 1,000 new strategic convenience sites.
* Doubling down on five transition growth businesses, planning for more than 40% of the capital we invest to be in bioenergy, convenience, EV charging, renewables and hydrogen by 2025.
* Accelerating our net-zero ambition – our aim is to be net-zero by 2050 or sooner across operations, production and sales.
About innovation and engineering: https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/what-we-do/innovation-and-engineering.html
We don't just talk about innovation in bp, we do it – and have done for many years. This track record gives us confidence in continuing to transform, change and innovate at pace and scale, while always focussing on safety – our core value. Innovation & engineering (I&E) is home to our central engineering and safety & operational assurance authorities, which sets bp-wide requirements and governance, as well as providing guidance and deep technical expertise.
Our applied sciences capability, set across 12 sites, oversees a Research and Development spend of $350 million per year, complemented by leading external partnerships, increasingly orientated towards reducing carbon emissions. Our digital practice covers all disciplines from developing our strategy, capability and access to emerging technology, through to enabling our workforce and enhancing our underlying infrastructure. It also provides business support activities to transform our core operations, as well as creating new customer-led platforms and solutions. And throughout, it protects and safeguards our systems, assets and people from cybercrime and digital threats.
Digital Science and Engineering applies digital innovation capabilities to the challenge of providing energy to the world while transitioning to a zero carbon future. The Digital Science measure of performance is the business adoption of new digital technologies. Although relatively small in size, Digital Science is world class in reach, processes, activities, and results. It works with the very highest levels of external organizations and operates within the full context of external digital and business innovation as well as bp Group and Segment strategies.